- Each of the players for ImPULSE should have four unique sounds. The instrument type is defined in the legend below, but the specific quality of each type is left up to the player.
- The instrument types are divided into three categories: skin, wood, and metal
- The players should choose their instruments according to their position on the staff in relation to the other 3 instruments, i.e., higher instruments on the staff should be higher in pitch than lower instruments on the staff.
- If a player wishes, they may divide a single line across a variety of instruments of the same type, or may choose a specific instrument of the same type to suit a particular passage.
- It is preferable that all of the players instruments can be played with sticks or mallets (this is to allow for quick transitions between instruments). Rests to accommodate stick and mallet changes between instrument types are not given.
The piece was premiered by the LSU Percussion Group, Hamiruge, in 2019.